Another crucial aspect to the film's premise is the general perception that "the Japanese are weird." Murray and Scarlett Johansson are presented as "normal" because of their American-ness. They speak a language that the audience can understand, and behave in a manner typical of what a Hollywood audience would expect. All of the Japanese locals are "strange" and "exotic," acting flamboyantly, or outrageously, at least through the lens of an American observer.
Essentially, the film depicts two people who are alienated from their social situations. It accentuates this alienation through setting--that is, it emphasizes their difference from their surroundings by extremely exaggerate methods. There is likely no culture on the planet so diametrically opposed to America as Japan, and in particular, the Tokyo metropolis. Stereotypes and weird differences are played up to galvanize the "American-ness" and "Japanese-ness" of all the central characters.
I agree with Evan in his assertion that this film does indeed portry the Japanese as the "weird" and the American culture as "normal" fairly excessively. This is an American film and I think that might bias the way this movie approaches the subject, but the plot of the story also depends on these opposing cultures. Obviously, the cultures are not the same, and it is this weirdness that drives the two main characters together. For the sake of the plot and of the viewers, the differences must be obvious so that Murray and Johannson's characters can feel so out of place that they have to seek out something familiar and comfortable. When that comfort comes in the form of another American or simply another western person, the two characters are distraught and uncomfortable enough to forge a friendship that normally would not happen. So yes, the stereotypes are played up quite heavily, but it's for the sake of a larger theme of friendship and companionship, that these stereotypes are done up so much.
ReplyDeleteConnor Cavigli
I agree that the film plays up stereotypes of Japanese culture to emphasize the differences between Americans and Japanese. And, while there are differences, I have to say that the Tokyo metropolis is actually not too different from areas of many large cities in the United States (Times Square comes to mind).
ReplyDeleteI can see where the director was trying to go with the "fish-out-of-water" idea, but it is unfortunate that Japanese culture ended up being portrayed negatively as "weird" rather than just different but still valid. Perhaps it was portrayed in this way to make the characters more relatable to an American audience, but I think her message ended up being something other than what she intended.
--Annelise Smith
I agree that movie does show a lot of stereotypic examples about both Japanese and Americans. It is also very good notice that Americans showed in the movie only one that uses language that would be understandable for hollywood movies audience. My opinion the director of this movie just tried to show Japanese culture as very weird and confusing. In this blog I missed pictures from the movie or a link to see some parts of the movie, I think that could make blog more attractive. But other than that I think the information is really interesting and explained well.
ReplyDeleteRugile Mileisyte
It's frustrating how much the media is such a big influence on society. There are so many uneducated peoples, in racialized groups or not , that take everything that the media says for truth without researching anything on their own. Mad TV has this hilarious skit about "Ms.Swan" which is about an oriental woman working in a nail salon. Ever since this skit has aired, there have been several young adults who have depicted the Asian American community to have mannerisms like Ms. Swan. I have had friends come up to me asking to do "the Asian voice" which I'm not entirely sure what that means.
ReplyDeleteEven the travel channel's "Bizarre Foods" is guilty of racializing Asian cultures. It is a great thing for host Andrew Zimmern to open the eyes to society on the different cultures but when he is absolutely appalled by some of the mannerisms he shows each practice as being weird and disgusting. While watching this show in my own home I've seen some of my friends appalled stating, "Bobbie... You eat that???" it's pretty offensive.
Agreeing with both Annelise and Connor, Lost in Translation depicts Japanese culture as weird and flamboyant. The message was not intended to offend but unfortunately there were some moments in the movie that caught some audiences off guard. Scarlett Johansen and Murray's characters are sitting in a sushi bar and for one moment Murray begins to speak in an "Asian accent" which is mocking and almost degrading which is what I got from that part.
I understand that people need to not be so sensitive (a.k.a. me) but the media needs to find ways to dodge these moments in order to avoid any conflict.
-Bobbie Maliksi